POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:27:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 25 Jan 2010 15:29:31
Message: <4b5dff2b$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> The problem is I can't necessarily tell if it will fail. If I ask the API
> if the installer has write privilege, it tells me "yes". And if it does
> write, the writes are then diverted into the user's profile.

This is strange. I thought file virtualization would only kick
in on 32-bit Windows for applications which are *not* Vista-aware
(i.e., don't contain a manifest with requestExecutionLevel). If
the installer is Vista-aware I would have expected you get real
information about write privileges.

This may be related to providing the installer as an MSI. Come
to think of it there probably isn't a way to embed a manifest in
an MSI file. Building an EXE might solve the problem (and be more
convenient anyway for the user who wants to install it with
elevated privileges).