POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Making VCDs? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:46:27 EDT (-0400)
  Making VCDs? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Dick Balaska
Subject: Making VCDs?
Date: 20 Nov 2002 00:58:18
Message: <3DDB24A9.57B49313@buckosoft.com>
Hiho

I wonder if anyone here has made a VCD.  I can't get mine to work.
I've tried two programs InstantVideo and VCDEasy to burn the disks.
I've tried VCD1.0 VCD1.1 and VCD2 (so, six coasters).
I have two consumer decks; a 3 year old Sony DVP-S550D with a sticker that
sez VideoCD on it.  The APEX's manual sez it supports VCD 1.1 and VCD 2.

In any event, when i put a disc in either unit, i hear some disc scraping
noises and then the useful message "No disc".

The discs all read fine on my PC.  The file structure looks ok and i can
play the AABCABDA.MPG  file that lives on the disc in Media Player (tm).

+++
Other unimportant project notes.

So, some of you may have seen my Through The Eyes Of A Child mpeg.
I'm turning that into an 18 minute epic set to music (a 1990 Eb minor
improvisational duet).

I'm using mpeg_encode to turn PNGs into mpeg streams (all I frames Q1)
Then i'm using Ulead VideoStudio 5 to combine the mpeg segments with the audio.

The VideoStudio is a PITA to use, it really wants to just capture video
and add titling and silly sound effects; but if i leave out the capture part
i get what i want (with far too many mouse clicks); and it makes a decent
MPEG-2 720x480.  The MPEG-1 352x240 i would rate as ok. (I could just be spoiled
by the MPEG-2s now, though :)

I'm thinking of writing a png2avi so i can feed lossless video to it.

One thing that was cool; while working on audio synch (frames just displaying
the measure and beat number), my 7 box / 9 cpu renderfarm was kicking out
167.57 frames per minute, or 2.8 frames per second.
( http://www.buckosoft.com/bsac/ )

--
           _,--"
           `-._        ________-_______        "----

Post a reply to this message

"Dick Balaska" <dik### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote in message

> I wonder if anyone here has made a VCD.  I can't get mine to work.
> I've tried two programs InstantVideo and VCDEasy to burn the disks.
> I've tried VCD1.0 VCD1.1 and VCD2 (so, six coasters).
> I have two consumer decks; a 3 year old Sony DVP-S550D with a sticker that
> sez VideoCD on it.  The APEX's manual sez it supports VCD 1.1 and VCD 2.
>
> In any event, when i put a disc in either unit, i hear some disc scraping
> noises and then the useful message "No disc".
>
> The discs all read fine on my PC.  The file structure looks ok and i can
> play the AABCABDA.MPG  file that lives on the disc in Media Player (tm).

I've done it, just not much at all. Sounds like you might be using too high
a resolution.

Does your player do PBC (playback control)? Might need that either off or on
if so. I had a Sanyo that did okay with my first VCD tries, then sold it and
got a much cheaper Apex 1100 that can read Jpeg in slideshows as well as
play VCD (from Mpeg1 anyway). I just haven't tried Mpeg2 with sound yet.
Program I have used for it is TmpgEnc, but been almost a year since I have
done anything.

A problem I encountered once was when creating Mpeg1 files from collections
of Jpeg's for a VCD. It would freeze one some of the images. These were
about eight different Mpeg's on one CD. I couldn't find a reason for the
trouble so I chalked it up to faulty player or CD creation process, was
always the same exact places that froze the picture though. I began to
wonder if I had some slightly errored Jpeg's which were not visibly messed
up. Long since gave up on the idea though since the new player reads them
individually anyway.

Have you checked with www.vcdhelp.com and their list of compatible DVD
players? I had seen there that the observations people have made don't
always match up with the specs.

--
Farewell,
Bob

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:59:05 -0500, Dick Balaska <dik### [at] buckosoftcom>
wrote:

>Hiho
>
>I wonder if anyone here has made a VCD.  I can't get mine to work.
>I've tried two programs InstantVideo and VCDEasy to burn the disks.
>I've tried VCD1.0 VCD1.1 and VCD2 (so, six coasters).
>I have two consumer decks; a 3 year old Sony DVP-S550D with a sticker that
>sez VideoCD on it.  The APEX's manual sez it supports VCD 1.1 and VCD 2.
>
>In any event, when i put a disc in either unit, i hear some disc scraping
>noises and then the useful message "No disc".

Check out www.vcdhelp.com and look for your players in the DVD Players
section. These contain findings from other users about what does or
doesn't play on them. Looking at your Sony player it seems that CD-R
is not supported - try using CD-RW (DVD players tend to like CD-RW
more than CD-R).

Cheers,

Scott

Post a reply to this message

> section. These contain findings from other users about what does or
> doesn't play on them. Looking at your Sony player it seems that CD-R
> is not supported - try using CD-RW (DVD players tend to like CD-RW
> more than CD-R).

Duh!  I had tried several CD-Rs.  I had one CD-RW that came with the burner,
and it worked first shot.  Hey, that 352x240 doesn't look so bad on my 27" Trinitron.
:) :) :)

+++
Everyone keeps talking about this tmpgenc encoder but i am unable to connect to
http://www.tmpgenc.net .  Is it just me?

Danke

dik

Post a reply to this message