POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : TV commercial Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  TV commercial (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: TV commercial
Date: 17 Sep 1998 18:16:46
Message: <36017CF9.A5430664@aol.com>
What would it take to make a TV commerical that would be accepted by a
local TV station?

As my skill at POV-Ray and Bryce improves, I imagine that some day soon
I could make a TV commercial.   Has anyone ever done this?  I imagine I
could easily get a series of 800X600  TGA files but suspect that the TV
format is beyond my reach.

I suppose the process could be as simple as emailing an MPEG file to the
station or as difficult as requiring  $10k of recording equipment and a
video format beyond the reach of freeware.

_________
Greg M. Johnson
gregj56590:-)@aol.com
"Volunteer firefighters is fine, ma'am, but don't tell me there ain't
nobody burnin' in that buildin'," said the Fire Cheif to the Libertarian
Lady.

Post a reply to this message

> What would it take to make a TV commerical that would be accepted by a
> local TV station?
>
> As my skill at POV-Ray and Bryce improves, I imagine that some day soon
> I could make a TV commercial.   Has anyone ever done this?  I imagine I
> could easily get a series of 800X600  TGA files but suspect that the TV
> format is beyond my reach.
>
> I suppose the process could be as simple as emailing an MPEG file to the
> station or as difficult as requiring  $10k of recording equipment and a
> video format beyond the reach of freeware.
>
> _________
> Greg M. Johnson
> gregj56590:-)@aol.com
> "Volunteer firefighters is fine, ma'am, but don't tell me there ain't
> nobody burnin' in that buildin'," said the Fire Cheif to the Libertarian
> Lady.

  As I understand it, and I'm no expert, the major criteria are,
FPS frames per second of picture (and this varies by coutry),
screen width/height, and format - NTSC/PAL. It's a complicated
issue that a group of people working on an internet movie project
are still trying to iron out the details of.
If you would like to gain some first hand knowledge before you
take the big plung on your own, the IMP is always looking for
more volunteers for the project. It is being produced in POV-Ray
only as far as output, goes but any modeling software that can
output to POV-Ray format can be used as an aid.
You can take a look for yourself to see if your interested at:

http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/MovieProject/

Ken

Post a reply to this message

>What would it take to make a TV commerical that would be accepted by a
>local TV station?
>
>As my skill at POV-Ray and Bryce improves, I imagine that some day soon
>I could make a TV commercial.   Has anyone ever done this?  I imagine I
>could easily get a series of 800X600  TGA files but suspect that the TV
>format is beyond my reach.
>
>I suppose the process could be as simple as emailing an MPEG file to the
>station or as difficult as requiring  $10k of recording equipment and a
>video format beyond the reach of freeware.
>
>_________
>Greg M. Johnson
>gregj56590:-)@aol.com
>"Volunteer firefighters is fine, ma'am, but don't tell me there ain't
>nobody burnin' in that buildin'," said the Fire Cheif to the Libertarian
>Lady.

I use 320*240, 30 FPS, non interlaced for my NTSC stuff at the cable access
place.  I think it looks fine recorded on nothing more than my regular VCR
coming from a Power Mac 9600.  For professional quality, you might want
640*480, and a better VCR.

Post a reply to this message

From: Remco de Korte
Date: 18 Sep 1998 09:04:04
Message: <36024457.E8D3B6D6@xs4all.nl>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> What would it take to make a TV commerical that would be accepted by a
> local TV station?
>
> As my skill at POV-Ray and Bryce improves, I imagine that some day
> soon
> I could make a TV commercial.   Has anyone ever done this?  I imagine
> could easily get a series of 800X600  TGA files but suspect that the
> TV
> format is beyond my reach.
>
> I suppose the process could be as simple as emailing an MPEG file to
> the
> station or as difficult as requiring  $10k of recording equipment and
> video format beyond the reach of freeware.
>
> _________
> Greg M. Johnson
> gregj56590:-)@aol.com
> "Volunteer firefighters is fine, ma'am, but don't tell me there ain't
> nobody burnin' in that buildin'," said the Fire Cheif to the
> Libertarian
> Lady.

I've made a cartoon-animation for tv. Here in Europe (it's a different
system from that in the US) screensize was 768x576 pixels. I don't have
any special stuff for recording so I just supplied a CD with all the
stills which were loaded in the editing-computer (they had to do some
background-key stuff anyway).
Perhaps you should try to find someone at a tv-station that'll allow you
to experiment a little. It might save you some serious inverstments.

Regards,

Remco de Korte
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 18 Sep 1998 10:10:38
Message: <36025C8F.30F3A307@aol.com>
me [actually, he] wrote:

> I use 320*240, 30 FPS, non interlaced for my NTSC stuff at the cable access
> place.  I think it looks fine recorded on nothing more than my regular VCR
> coming from a Power Mac 9600.  For professional quality, you might want
> 640*480, and a better VCR.

  A few questions:
1. Did you set it up as FLC, MPEG, or what?
2. How expensive a VCR adapter do you have? I've seen ads for <$100 units.
3. How does the issue of "interlaced" apply to making an animation? (How is it
different, say,  from typical CMPEG output?)
4. When I maximize low resolution images (certainly 160X120, probably 320X240)
on my PC monitor, it looks crappily pixelated.  Am I missing something? I would
imagine 800X600 would be the minimum.

__________________
Greg M. Johnson
http://members.xoom.com/gregjohn/
gregj56590:-)@aol.com
"Volunteer firefighters is fine, ma'am, but don't tell me there ain't
nobody burnin' in that buildin'," said the Fire Chief to the Libertarian
Lady.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)

From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 19 Sep 1998 01:38:15
Message: <36033680.61BA2D49@geocities.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> me [actually, he] wrote:
>
> > I use 320*240, 30 FPS, non interlaced for my NTSC stuff at the cable
> > access
> > place.  I think it looks fine recorded on nothing more than my
> > regular VCR
> > coming from a Power Mac 9600.  For professional quality, you might
> > want
> > 640*480, and a better VCR.
>
>   A few questions:
> 1. Did you set it up as FLC, MPEG, or what?
> 2. How expensive a VCR adapter do you have? I've seen ads for <$100
> units.
> 3. How does the issue of "interlaced" apply to making an animation?
> (How is it different, say,  from typical CMPEG output?)
> 4. When I maximize low resolution images (certainly 160X120, probably
> 320X240) on my PC monitor, it looks crappily pixelated.  Am I missing
> something? I would imagine 800X600 would be the minimum.

Not 800x600.
NTSC only has 486 lines of vertical resolution. VHS chops the vertical
to 240.

So, usual resolution is 768x480 or 640x480 (the former is more
'broadcast').

For interlaced, first the odd scan-lines are displayed, then the even
scan-lines. Thus, if you were going for full 60 fields per second, you'd
need to have them changed over time. So in essence you'd need images at
768x240 at 60 fps.

Post a reply to this message

From: me
Date: 20 Sep 1998 14:09:58
Message: <360536e6.0@news.povray.org>
Before I say anything, I think any plain text people are going to be mad at
me, outlook has decided I want to use a bunch of formatting...  There is a
big vertical line I have never seen before, so I know this is going to give
some people problems.  Sorry.

<<begin quote>>
    Greg M. Johnson <"gregj56590:-)"@aol.com> wrote in message
<36025C8F.30F3A307@aol.com>...
    me [actually, he] wrote:
[...]

    <<end quote>>

    I used adobe premiere to make a quicktime movie.  It is a video card
that has video in/out called a "video wizard"  it was about $200 for the
2meg version.  It can't really handle high resolution modes very well, but
as long as you have another video card for use on normal life, it works
great.

    NTSC video is at 60 fields / second, 30 frames / second.  I just don't
use the fields, and let the hardware figure it out.  It looks fine at 30
frames a second.  In other words, no fields= non interlaced.

    Don't know too much about 'typical CMPEG output'  so I couldn't really
compare.

    As for the resolution, NTSC only has 533  (?) lines of resolution
maximum, so you really aren't missing too much at 320*240.  If you wanted,
you could go up to 512*384  (I think)  for high quality stuff.  Think of it
this way.  Sit 6 inches away from a monitor.  No problem, a little close,
but perfectly readable.  Sit less than six feet away from a big TV.  Big
difference!  800*600 is overkill.  Some video out setups will allow you to
view 800*600 stuff on a TV, but they have to play big tricks on the image in
order to get it to stay readable.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 23 Sep 1998 00:59:24
Message: <3608721c.0@news.povray.org>
>What would it take to make a TV commerical that would be accepted by a
>local TV station?

    I worked at an Amiga dealer years ago.  One of our clients was an
Audio/Visual service Bureau that made commercials for local businesses to
run on local cable channels.  We sold them an Amiga loaded for video
production(Video capture, Genlock, Imagine, Deluxe paint...).  I setup the
system and did training for their employees.  They used the system for
simple 2D & a few 3D animations.  Mostly it was flying logos and scrolling
text.  They had other equipment for the character generation that very
expensive.  The Amiga was a lot cheaper and much more flexible in what it
could do. The custom logos was the big selling point(" Fred's Fish Market"
with their lobster logo).  If you want to break into this market, I would
say this is probably the easiest way.  Contact a local A/V house.  Tell them
you are a freelance artist who wants to specialize in animated logos(scan
image, heightfield, voila).  It's not exciting, but it gets your foot in the
door to show your other work, and will let you learn the industry.  You can
even keep your day job.  You just have to meet their deadlines(very tight, a
week or two mostly).  The work won't pay much($25-$75).  They were doing a
complete commercial for as little as $700.  That included
everything(Location shoot, voiceover, postproduction, tape, revisions).
They did do one live/animated industrial video(2D) that paid a several
thousand.

Hope this helps
Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 24 Nov 1998 09:04:26
Message: <365ABC6E.1AD3@ida.utb.hb.se>

http://fly.to/spencer

I know it does a whole bunch of resolutions I never even heard of, so
try it out!

- Mikael.

Mikael Carneholm

Dep. of Computer Science