POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : TV commercial : Re: TV commercial Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TV commercial
From: Tom Galvin
Date: 23 Sep 1998 00:59:24
Message: <3608721c.0@news.povray.org>
>What would it take to make a TV commerical that would be accepted by a
>local TV station?

    I worked at an Amiga dealer years ago.  One of our clients was an
Audio/Visual service Bureau that made commercials for local businesses to
run on local cable channels.  We sold them an Amiga loaded for video
production(Video capture, Genlock, Imagine, Deluxe paint...).  I setup the
system and did training for their employees.  They used the system for
simple 2D & a few 3D animations.  Mostly it was flying logos and scrolling
text.  They had other equipment for the character generation that very
expensive.  The Amiga was a lot cheaper and much more flexible in what it
could do. The custom logos was the big selling point(" Fred's Fish Market"
with their lobster logo).  If you want to break into this market, I would
say this is probably the easiest way.  Contact a local A/V house.  Tell them
you are a freelance artist who wants to specialize in animated logos(scan
image, heightfield, voila).  It's not exciting, but it gets your foot in the
door to show your other work, and will let you learn the industry.  You can
even keep your day job.  You just have to meet their deadlines(very tight, a
week or two mostly).  The work won't pay much($25-$75).  They were doing a
complete commercial for as little as $700.  That included
everything(Location shoot, voiceover, postproduction, tape, revisions).
They did do one live/animated industrial video(2D) that paid a several
thousand.

Hope this helps
Tom