POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Planes (?) for cleaning building envelop (walls) through CSG. Server Time
27 Jun 2024 13:44:09 EDT (-0400)
  Planes (?) for cleaning building envelop (walls) through CSG. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Kene
Subject: Planes (?) for cleaning building envelop (walls) through CSG.
Date: 16 Jan 2010 22:00:01
Message: <web.4b527a32107718d7772dd76f0@news.povray.org>
I am creating a tool for modeling architecture/building information in
POV-Ray SDL. I am implementing the ability for the walls to clean up (form a
clean connection regardless of angle) with each other.

I am currently using planes and although it is still too early to notice memory
problems I was wondering if this is the right direction. The building walls are
mainly made of boxes while the floors (most parts) are made of prisms. As you
can imagine there will potentially be a lot of instances for this use (i.e.
clean up).

I have not tried triangles (I have read so much about it being efficient) but I
have read so much too about it not being so stable for CSG operations.

Any insight on this from anyone?

Post a reply to this message

> I am creating a tool for modeling architecture/building information in
> POV-Ray SDL. I am implementing the ability for the walls to clean up (form a
> clean connection regardless of angle) with each other.
>
> I am currently using planes and although it is still too early to notice memory
> problems I was wondering if this is the right direction. The building walls are
> mainly made of boxes while the floors (most parts) are made of prisms. As you
> can imagine there will potentially be a lot of instances for this use (i.e.
> clean up).
>
> I have not tried triangles (I have read so much about it being efficient) but I
> have read so much too about it not being so stable for CSG operations.
>
> Any insight on this from anyone?

I have realized that a merge does this work well enough with some recalculation
to get the new intersections. This seems to make more sense at this point.

Post a reply to this message

> I have realized that a merge does this work well enough with some recalculation
> to get the new intersections. This seems to make more sense at this point.

One thing to be careful of is if you're using actual shadow-casting lights
instead of ambient or some such. If you build the entire building out of one
object (e.g., a union of walls and floors), the shadow calculations will
take forever. Each light will have to test every object in the entire
structure for each ray cast.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do