POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Planes (?) for cleaning building envelop (walls) through CSG. : Re: Planes (?) for cleaning building envelop (walls) through CSG. Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planes (?) for cleaning building envelop (walls) through CSG.
From: Alain
Date: 21 Jan 2010 22:16:25
Message: <4b591889$1@news.povray.org>

> Actually, am still using planes to cut the parts that need to be removed in the
> connection. So a part of my original question is still valid. Is it OK regarding
> memory, using so many planes in a scene (a few hundreds for sure)

A plane don't use much memory:
- A directional vector (a group of 3 floats)
- A distance from the origin (a single float)
- possibly a texture
- possibly some transformation

You'd need many thousands, even millions, before your planes start to
cause memory isue. So, several 100's is entirely OK memory whise.

I rendered scenes with over 100000 individualy textures spheres without
problem. Note that a sphere uses about the same amount of memory as a plane.

Alain