POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Realistic subsurface scattering? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:50:13 EDT (-0400)
  Realistic subsurface scattering? (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: clipka
Subject: Realistic subsurface scattering?
Date: 4 Mar 2009 15:45:00
Message: <web.49aee7c45c51f8d126f6761f0@news.povray.org>
I'm looking for a (free) renderer that does realistic subsurface scattering,
using physical material parameters as input (i.e. absorption and scattering
coefficients) - or a way to do it in POV. Rendering times don't matter, even if
it takes days to render a simple wax sphere on a checkered plane. Main
prerequisite is high physical accuracy.

I had hoped for a combination of scattering and absorbing media in POV to do the
job, but it doesn't seem to work with real physical material properties - unless
someone happens to know a reliable way to convert those properties to POV media
parameters.

The parameters I have available - aside from index of refraction - are
"absorption coefficients" and "reduced scattering coefficients" for red, green
and blue light respectively (computed from measurements under the simplifying
assumption that the "phase function" is isotropic).

Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for a (free) renderer that does realistic subsurface scattering,

  Something like this?

http://www.luxrender.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2294&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
                                                          - Warp