POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Colors too dark and washed out Server Time
3 May 2024 01:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Colors too dark and washed out (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Colors too dark and washed out
Date: 24 Nov 2015 02:49:57
Message: <565416a5$1@news.povray.org>
> Thus -- assuming I got the colour physics right on this one -- for
> proper representation of the actual Munsell pigments you'd need to
> divide the pigment colours by the colour of illuminant C, in order to
> undo the presumed white point bias. (Theoretically you'd need to to this
> in continuous spectrum space; in practice, you should do this in either
> XYZ or sRGB space, but whatever you choose it will be imprecise.)

That sounds about right.

What is also worth mentioning is that the human vision system is very
good at figuring out what that underlying "unbiased" colour is by doing
the division for you automatically. It figures out the illuminant colour
from the surrounding view, so can be tricked/misled. What this means is
that you could have exactly the same RGB value on two different coloured
backgrounds, and you will be convinced the RGB value is different.

Post a reply to this message