POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Colors too dark and washed out : Re: Colors too dark and washed out Server Time
17 May 2024 19:51:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colors too dark and washed out
From: clipka
Date: 24 Nov 2015 04:53:31
Message: <5654339b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.11.2015 um 04:23 schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> Note "derivative works" in their language.  Also note the Copyright
> Infringement link, which wields the DMCA.  These people sound serious. I
> have rendered the 1943 data myself, but I dare not publish it. At least
> the copyright on the 1929 data has expired.  If it makes you feel
> better, most of the extra 1943 points are outside the sRGB gamut anyway.

Erm... careful about the 1929 data:

"These are only those colors physically appearing in the 1929 Munsell
Book of Color. These data might be of useful for those interested in the
input colors used for the scaling experiments leading to the 1943
renotation. Remember though, these are renotation colors of those
original patches, not necessarily the colors of the input data used in
the visual experiment."

In other words, the "1929" data wasn't measured and published in 1929;
instead, it is a true subset of the 1943 data, and as such is subject to
the same copyright restrictions.

There /do/ seem to have been colorimetric measurements of the Munsell
atlas in 1929, but that's not what's in the "1929.dat" available from
RIT or other sources.