POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : CSG'ing a mesh2 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:37:36 EDT (-0400)
  CSG'ing a mesh2 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: CSG'ing a mesh2
Date: 25 Oct 2007 22:22:10
Message: <47214f52@news.povray.org>
I'm thinking about a project for constructing things out of mesh2's. I think
I'd like to cut the mesh2 with CSG.

Is this unadvised (specifically. why then?)?
thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: Re: CSG'ing a mesh2
Date: 25 Oct 2007 23:05:00
Message: <web.47215882922d66a72ae8612c0@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote:
> I'm thinking about a project for constructing things out of mesh2's. I think
> I'd like to cut the mesh2 with CSG.
>

> Is this unadvised (specifically. why then?)?
> thanks.

It is unadvised at times, because it can be very difficult to figure out
what is in and what is out and you may not get what you expect, especially
if your mesh isn't fully closed.  It is however possible, try adding an
inside_vector to your mesh.  Read about it in the docs for more info.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote:
> > I'm thinking about a project for constructing things out of mesh2's. I think
> > I'd like to cut the mesh2 with CSG.
> >

> > Is this unadvised (specifically. why then?)?
> > thanks.
>
> It is unadvised at times, because it can be very difficult to figure out
> what is in and what is out and you may not get what you expect, especially
> if your mesh isn't fully closed.  It is however possible, try adding an
> inside_vector to your mesh.  Read about it in the docs for more info.

As long as you're confident that all your normals are pointing in/out
consistently, and that the mesh is fully closed, there should be no
problem. I've done it before. It can be fiddly if you're building a mesh by
hand.

Post a reply to this message