POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Direct stochastic tiling : Re: Direct stochastic tiling Server Time
2 Jun 2024 21:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct stochastic tiling
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Nov 2023 20:50:00
Message: <web.654594d25bb87ec31f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> On the "bah" comment. One of the things our current spiral capability
> doesn't do well is start and stop exactly where we want it to - in a
> clean way. We have hard starts and stops on numerical limits or by
> fading the effect in or out. The piecemeal assembly of spirals does fill
> a need for clean, limited duration, spirals - admittedly by default! :-)

Humbug.

The spiral equations are analytical, and therefore ought to lend themselves to
directly limiting the radius or arc length of the generated spiral.

It would be a simple matter of experimenting, asking a shadertoy coder, or
posting a request on stackoverflow or similar smarty-pants site for a way to
limit the rendered spiral's domain.

I have wide-ranging interests, a fertile and sometimes overactive imagination,
usually shallow pockets, and a disdain for people telling me what I can't or
especially am not allowed to do.

Which means that somehow, some way, eventually, _I'll find a way_.
I've done it with making a commercial database using only an open source
spreadsheet, and I've done it will full-color (almost) tileable Voronoi using
only functions.

Spirals ought to be easy.
I haven't even investigated implementing a SDF for the spiral, but I know it's
possible.

- BW

It would be nice to have a wish-list that operated something like a c++ list -
where things could be added onto the list and then removed (or marked as done),
so that people could scroll through it if they were bored and looking for
something to do.  ;)
Maybe enable tags to assign priority or difficulty levels, etc.
(Similar to bug-reporting 3rd party services like FlySpray, do they have
feature-request maintaining services?)
[Oh, right, I guess they do - it's called "SaaS"]