POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Direct stochastic tiling : Re: Direct stochastic tiling Server Time
20 May 2024 07:36:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct stochastic tiling
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Sep 2023 20:40:00
Message: <web.650ce1c85bb87ec31f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"ingo" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > Not sure I'm looking forward to the Poisson disk part of this....
>
> There is a poisson distribution in rand.inc, if it helps.
>
> ingo

Thanks, but I went over that several times, and can't for the life of me figure
out what that does or how to implement / visualize it.  I think that somehow
that's a "different" Poisson distribution.

"The number of point in an area A is Poisson-distributed with mean equal to the
area times the density. For this reason, the distribution is often called a
Poisson distribution.  This unfortunate terminology should not be confused with
the univariate discrete Poisson distribution."
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~elf/.misc/poissondisk.pdf (bottom of pg 3)

I think that basically what I need is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQgnCUxHlw
https://editor.p5js.org/codingtrain/sketches/4N78DFCXN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WcmyxyFO7o
https://github.com/SebLague/Poisson-Disc-Sampling/tree/master/Poisson%20Disc%20Sampling%20E01

I have coded the first one, but it doesn't work, because I probably messed up my
push/splice macros, and I have to work out the array indices, because those are
going awry as always.   :/

These "computer science" papers are all shit - since there's no code, and
therefore no way to verify/reproduce their work.  As a chemist, I had to give a
full, detailed experimental procedure, plus physical characteristics, spectral
data, etc.

"Find the center of gravity of the Voronoi region...."
Oh yeah, buddy.   Go cut down the tallest tree in the forest with .... A
HERRING!

- BW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'poisson-disc sampling.pov.txt' (5 KB)