POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Editing or creating an image or heightfield in POV-Ray : Re: Editing or creating an image or heightfield in POV-Ray Server Time
2 Jun 2024 16:00:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editing or creating an image or heightfield in POV-Ray
From: ingo
Date: 13 Sep 2023 07:50:00
Message: <web.6501a08f5742124017bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
"ingo" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Could we somehow achieve something similar using functions in POV-Ray,
> > without the help of isosurfaces? That would be my question.
> >

> Create hight-fields using functions. Then rotate the one with the 'lines' and
> intersect it with the one with the horizontal landscape.
>
> ingo

simple quick example of HF intersection (the Mount2.png is in the 3.7
distribution):

---%<------%<------%<---
// PoVRay 3.7 Scene File " hf_intersection.pov"
// author:  ingo
// date:    2023-09-13
#version 3.7;
global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }
#default{ finish{ ambient 0.1 diffuse 0.9 }}

camera {
  perspective angle 75               // front view
  location  <0.0 , 4.0 ,-10.0>
  right     x*image_width/image_height
  look_at   <0.0 , 1.0 , 0.0>
}

light_source{< 3000,3000,-3000> rgb 1}

sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient <0,1,0>
    color_map {
      [0.00 rgb <0.6,0.7,1.0>]
      [0.35 rgb <0.1,0.0,0.8>]
      [0.65 rgb <0.1,0.0,0.8>]
      [1.00 rgb <0.6,0.7,1.0>]
    }
    scale 2
  }
}

#declare Rock = height_field{
  png "Mount2.png" smooth double_illuminate
  translate<-0.5,-0.0,-0.5>
  scale<9, 2.5, 9>*2
  texture{
    pigment { color rgb <0.82,0.6,0.4>}