POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Speeding up (or faking) scattering media : Re: Speeding up (or faking) scattering media Server Time
20 May 2024 06:41:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up (or faking) scattering media
From: Juergen
Date: 25 Jun 2023 18:00:00
Message: <web.6498b8273f91956674554476df9b2273@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I made a few attempts over the weekend. I followed the variant "transparent
cylinder". The result looks quite usable, but there are a few restrictions and
things to consider.

In the core I use a (vertical) cylinder. On this cylinder is a gradient texture
to avoid sharp edges. Finally, the cylinder is rotated so that it is parallel to
the light rays.

The constraints are:
1. there must be no visible intersection of a cylinder with another object in
the scene, here you would have sharp, unnatural edges.
2. the gradient texture must be aligned with the camera, otherwise the advantage
of having no sharp edges is lost,
3. not too many of these cylinders should be used (about 150), otherwise the
render time will increase again to the point where you can use the right media.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lightsource2m1b.jpg' (118 KB)

Preview of image 'lightsource2m1b.jpg'