POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : No semicolon allowed in Tuple-style assignments? : Re: No semicolon allowed in Tuple-style assignments? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No semicolon allowed in Tuple-style assignments?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 May 2023 15:40:00
Message: <web.6452b7c417acbde31f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
I am back at it, and still experiencing a lot of weird behaviour with regard to
assigning tuple-style values via macros.

And that somehow seems to be a subset of just generally weird parser behaviour
overall.

I have a scene that I've run dozens of times.
I've let it sit while I've pursued other projects and IRL stuff.
I added some fairly inconsequential code WAY at the end of the .pov file.

Now the parser is complaining about semicolons and undeclared Lvalues.

So I fiddled and restructured the macro it was complaining about, and now I'm
getting a totally inexplicable "all #declares..... require a semicolon..." error
in a macro where _everything has a semicolon_.

Okay - maybe I'm mid-parse on some other #declare or #local  and I need to fix
something upstream of the macro call.  So I add in all my macro calls that track
what level in the nesting of things I'm in, and that all seems fine ---

EXCEPT

that the parser tells me that my error occurs on line 205.

My macro calls that output the debugging stack, and current position in the
stack, both execute to completion --- but those are AFTER the cited error line,
at lines 207 and 208.

I honestly have no idea what's going on.

Either something is very weirdly wrong with my code
or
I am losing my mind
or
there is a problem in the source code for the parser
and/or
there is a problem with the parsing of tuple-style assignments

Parsing a scene should not be this - fussy.
Nor should debugging the problem be so cryptic and mysterious.

I think there needs to be a better mechanism to structure code, and follow the
flow when parse errors are triggered.
If the parser thinks that I need a semicolon to close a #local or #declare, then
it should give me the line number of the opening #local or #declare statement
that it's expecting the semicolon to finalize.

For some reason, this particular pov/inc scene pairing has been nothing but
trouble, and I'm not really sure why.  I've written vastly more complex code.

I can use all the help and advice I can get as to how to proceed.

This is very frustrating, annoying, and angering.

Trying to run previously working code shouldn't result in a failed 2-day
debugging odyssey.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'parseerror.jpg' (165 KB)