POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Non linear object scaling : Re: Non linear object scaling Server Time
26 Apr 2024 17:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non linear object scaling
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Feb 2023 06:25:00
Message: <web.63f89e7c3d6c764f1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> On any objects, you can only have linear transformation, because of the
> transformation arithmetic used: it's only a matrix of constant
> coefficients applied to the ray equation.
>
> non-linear scale is only possible on object whose definition is updated
> by the operation: you get a new object.
>
> That's what happen for isosurface by pushing the transformation over
> input data.
>
> You can also mangle the same way the data which create mesh/mesh2 and
> maybe parametric and bicubic_patch.

Indeed.  Though I was thinking if there was any way to actually do this from the
source code side (at some point)

That got me thinking about the kind of "sliding scale" that could be used, and i
suppose one could loop over an object, take a very small intersection slice, and
then scale the next slice, the slice after that would get translated to
compensate for the scaling, ....  until you reached the end of the loop.

I guess it would kind of operate like I think those object bending macros work.

At least that way one could fully texture a CSG object and still "transform" it
without having to make the whole thing one monolithic object {} in the form of a
mesh or isosurface.