POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D : Re: Converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D Server Time
4 May 2024 01:55:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Feb 2023 09:10:00
Message: <web.63e7a1b0ef540dd71f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I'm not sure i understood everything, but i thought of this :
> In the "screen.inc", there is a macro that converts a 3d position to a
> 2d position.
>
> By analyzing how this macro works, it may be possible to do the opposite
> or do a try/test loop to get 3d vector.

As I (tried) to explain to Kenneth, you can't quite use that method to go
backwards, since it uses trace().

There's also the issue of the solid spherical angle of view - if I have a sphere
with radius 1 at 10 units away, I can make the same image with a sphere of
radius 10 at 100 units away.  So the z-coordinate is undefined.

I suppose I'm trying to use relative distances and sensible geometric
transformations which would give me a reasonable starting point for further
refinement.

I went through the first few pages of one of the matrix transform methods, and
it was mostly a lot of unproductive academic blathering on that either went
around in a circle or just puffed up a lot and went nowhere.  Lots more to read
though.