POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Raytracing theory in Povray : Re: Raytracing theory in Povray Server Time
29 Apr 2024 10:47:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing theory in Povray
From: Kenneth
Date: 9 Mar 2018 15:20:00
Message: <web.5aa2ea57948a4d2ea47873e10@news.povray.org>
"muyu" <lsy### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Povray, the optical properties of each surface can be set by ambient, diffuse
> and specular.

And phong. And also 'emission' now. And in other ways too.

> This is very flexible but only single value is allowed over
> color-channels.

Emission, ambient and diffuse can all use 'color' vectors, rather than just a
single (white/gray) value.

> As a matter of fact, the optical properties of object often
> differs over wavelength or colors. I am wondering what's the assumption in
> Povary to deal with this.

For reflections, there is the 'fresnel' keyword. Also 'irid' (iridescence).
POV-Ray doesn't actually use light wavelengths for computation; it works in a
different way.

> It will be great if you could recommend a reference to
> describe the raytracing theory used in Povray. Thanks a lot in advance.

The POV-Ray documentation itself has a section on the theory of raytracing...

2.3.11 SDL tutorial: A raytracer