POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : user-defined functions-- basic question of use : Re: user-defined functions-- basic question of use Server Time
29 Apr 2024 12:31:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: user-defined functions-- basic question of use
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Feb 2018 19:25:00
Message: <web.5a9351a8e9ce4cfda47873e10@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:

> No, "myvector" (as its name suggest) is just a vector. Its the result of
> the vector <4, 3, 7> with the transformation "foo" applied.
> In this case it is simple to calculate: <16, -28, 12>
>
> So
>
> sphere {myvector, 0.3
>       pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
> }
>
> or
>
> sphere {foo(4, 3, 7), 0.3
>       pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
> }
>
> works and will position the sphere at <16, -28, 12>.

Thanks very much; really appreciated. Yes, that was generally *the way* I
thought it would work-- but the example suggests that it's 'a transform', and I
thought that it needed to be used *after* the object is initially made...like a
typical translate, rotate, transform{..} block etc. And not as just *a* vector
itself.

In your opinion (and Bald Eagle's), is the documentation as-is clear enough to
suggest this proper use? I feel like there is some 'explanatory key to
understanding' that is missing there. Perhaps it's the function idea that messes
me up-- not clearly grasping that it produces just a vector (a set of three
values, to be used as such.)