POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : hexagon pattern + pigment pattern : Re: hexagon pattern + pigment pattern Server Time
2 May 2024 00:41:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hexagon pattern + pigment pattern
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Oct 2017 22:20:01
Message: <web.59f3e84de7a40c9f5cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> That pattern is centered arount the Y axis. So, if you want it somewhere
> else, you need to translate it accordingly.
> In your case, some judicious and creative use of warp repeat, with some
> offset, may be more indicated.

Right, however, I naively thought that each hexagon would have it's own center,
and the original pigment's origin would be at that center.

I did try to use a warp to see if the what you said was true, and I did see
other holes, just not where I needed them.

Sam Benge apparently created some macros in 2008 (p.b.s-f) to deal with this,
but I'll have to decipher how to use them.

Chris Huff has some info that I might use to puzzle it out somehow:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C40b55d56@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=373461&toff=2850

I think I might have to write a function pigment with mod() to pattern the
plane.
I feel that all of that shouldn't be necessary...

feature request:  Hex2 pattern which places the pigment's origin at the center
of the hexagons, or automagically creates a new tiled pigment....  :)