POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Internal reflactions : Re: Internal reflactions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internal reflactions
From: Dave
Date: 14 Jul 2007 17:35:02
Message: <web.469940b32278acb5873186e0@news.povray.org>
I've been trying to model a light-pipe also, and I've gotten internal
reflection to work, but only if I turn conserve_energy off. If it's
enabled, I get no visible internal reflection at all. My photons are all
emitted in a very narrow beam (spotlight of 0.04 degrees divergence), which
requires an extremely small photon-spacing on the glass pipe target, but it
doesn't seem to make any difference how small the spacing is unless
conserve_energy is off (i.e. you get no visible effect from photons, even
with no other lighting in the scene).

My light pipe and light source are configured such that I should be getting
total internal reflection. So perhaps conservation of energy isn't
important in this case, assuming that 100% of the incoming light gets
reflected (internally). But I wanted to look at step-index light pipes, so
ideally there would be partial reflection at the interface between two
slightly different indices of refraction. I think this will probably
require that conserve_energy is enabled for realistic behavior to be seen.

Dave