POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Scaling spherical wrap image in UV dimensions. : Re: Scaling spherical wrap image in UV dimensions. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:35:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scaling spherical wrap image in UV dimensions.
From: space cadet
Date: 9 Jun 2006 09:50:00
Message: <web.44897b2683c4cc75c052e9200@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> What you probably want is something along the lines of:
>
> pigment
> { image_map { png "pic.png" interpolate 2 }
>   scale .25
>   warp { spherical }
> }
>

> --
>                                                           - Warp

Thanks. I found your similar reply to a cylindrical issue last night and
tried it.  It did solve my problem.

However, I gotta say, I have no idea what warp is about. I've read its
documentation to death, and I cant figure out what its trying to say.  I
have no idea what the 'orientation' parameter is for (which isnt even
explained in the docs). When its the default 'z', it works fine, when its
ANYTHING else, nothing at all shows up on my object.  Theres nothing 'z'
oriented about what I'm witnessing. And dist_exp rematins a mystery to me
as well.

Also, it only allows uniform scaling in both dimensions. I'm able to make
that work for this application, but often we need to scale u and v
independently. Is that not available?

I've been able to make it work from following examples, and playing with it,
but still, I dont know why its working the way it does.  And I cant
understand why the straight forward spherical wrapping (maptype 1)
mechanism doesnt allow for scaling.

Anyway, the solution worked, so I'll keep it. I just wish it was clear what
warp is doing so I can use it with some more confidence and control.

Thanks again for your help. :-)