POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : how to get a 360 degrees picture of an object? : how to get a 360 degrees picture of an object? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  how to get a 360 degrees picture of an object?
From: RBRiddick
Date: 5 May 2006 11:25:00
Message: <web.445b6d4bbbc7fea48418d37f0@news.povray.org>
Yesterday I posted this to the new users newsgroup... Today it looks like,
it fits better into the advanced users newsgroup:

I wondered how I could get a picture e. g. of scenes/camera/camera1a.png
(without the brown area it stands on; i mean: just the metallic bubbles and
cans -- I call it A), that shows

1.
either the 360 degrees picture on the inside of a hollow 100%-reflective
(just reflective for the camera, while the camera can't see anything else
than that reflection) cylinder, that has been put over that metallic object
A (this might be something similar to a cylindrical camera, that shows the
picture on its inside, while it surrounds the scene)

2.
or some kind of 2D projection (I have seen orange-skin-piece-projection and
that projection that morphs the upper and lower parts and of an elliptic
projection on various geographic maps) of the inside of a hollow
100%-reflective (see above) sphere, that has been wrapped around that object
A (this might be something similar to a spherical camera, that encloses the
scene and shows the picture on its inside).

Both could be used to make a map of a 3D scene like seen in some school
books and so on (world maps, ...)...

And after some wondering and reading I found, that I would have to write a
script (for version 1), that takes the middle part of each picture of an
animation. But that sounds too complicated.

Does somebody here know how to do it nicely?

Thanks.

-Arne