POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HDR Probes applied to select objects only? : Re: HDR Probes applied to select objects only? Server Time
2 May 2024 02:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDR Probes applied to select objects only?
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 28 Apr 2006 11:25:00
Message: <web.445233754a78764e76ba2c900@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> PM 2Ring <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I don't know MegaPOV, but in regular POV 3.6, I think you could get this
>
>   POV-Ray 3.6 doesn't support HDRI. POV-Ray 3.7 does, though.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

That will be great, Warp! But I'm having fun with my current system anyway.
I forgot to mention that I'm using Jaime's pseudo-HDRI macro, as well as
the light dome made by PoseRay. It's a little tedious putting the bits &
pieces together and doing the two-pass radiosity, but it does seem to work,
although I'm scared to use any area_light in the light dome lights. I've
also just begun to realize the extra realism and speed advantage in using
focal_blur and a little post-process smoothing, instead of antialiasing.

Of course, if POV could actually read an HDR file, it would be much better,
but I'm mostly using 48 bit .png files for my image_maps, and I'm hoping
POV can take full advantage of the 16 bits per channel, since it knows how
to create such files.