POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HDR Probes applied to select objects only? : Re: HDR Probes applied to select objects only? Server Time
1 May 2024 20:14:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDR Probes applied to select objects only?
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 28 Apr 2006 10:10:01
Message: <web.445220c44a78764e76ba2c900@news.povray.org>
"Tim McMurdo" <jod### [at] wohrrcom> wrote:
> Is it possible to apply an HDR probe to a gropup of objects only. I would
> like to apply it to everything in a scene except the plane I am using as a
> floor.

POV, or MegaPOV? And why? :)

I don't know MegaPOV, but in regular POV 3.6, I think you could get this
effect (or pretty close) by doing it in two (or three) passes, and using
post-processing to composite one image with HDR and no floor & the other
with floor, but no HDR. The 3rd image is for the composition alpha mask.

I've just started playing with lightprobes, using HDRshop to convert probes
to spherical maps and then using PoseRay to extract light sources from the
image. I need to get some better probes (and play more with the ones I
have), but so far the results have been encouraging.