POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Convert a normal map to a height field? : Re: Convert a normal map to a height field? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Convert a normal map to a height field?
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Apr 2006 17:40:00
Message: <web.4432e65b925a6bc0127644120@news.povray.org>
"Mienai" <Mienai> wrote:
> So I scanned some real objects with two colors from two different angles to
> produce an image that should more or less be a normal map.  I'm wondering
> if anyone knows of a quick/easy way to convert these images into height
> fields.

Hi!  Your question and Chris B's replies have resurrected a long-standing
question in my own mind: Whether it's possible to take a 3-D "photo" (made
from two different images, or views, of a scene) and *somehow* use the
information contained in the "difference" (?) between those images to
create a heightfield of the images' objects. True, the result would be
crude, but the technique could produce some intriguing results. It may
or may not be possible, but your posts have spurred me along to
give this some more thought.  Thanks!

Ken