POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Convert a normal map to a height field? : Convert a normal map to a height field? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Convert a normal map to a height field?
From: Mienai
Date: 14 Mar 2006 01:20:01
Message: <web.44166001d29a596193db03e80@news.povray.org>
So I scanned some real objects with two colors from two different angles to
produce an image that should more or less be a normal map.  I'm wondering
if anyone knows of a quick/easy way to convert these images into height
fields.  I think I could run it through some 4-dimensional derivative to
get something right, but I'm not positive.

with the y-axis being straight up, I have a red light coming from the x
direction and a green light from the z.  My vectors are <red,green> with
values from 0-255 with <128,128> being straight up, <255,128> pointing to
positive x, and <128,255> pointing to positive z.