POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : file reading mistake : Re: file reading mistake Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file reading mistake
From: Zarkoff
Date: 29 Jan 2006 12:10:01
Message: <web.43dcf5effd77404147a74af70@news.povray.org>

> POV-Ray's reading capabilities aren't meant to read "ordinary" files. Just
> stuff like this.
>
> "string", <1,1,1>, 321.514, "another_string", 4.2333, <3,6>

Why did they limit it? That means I have to go into all the Spline Editor
files I'm using and chop all that unreadable data off myself -- or write a
C program to do it... Which means I'd have been better off using an old DOS
type C program.

If they would have done what seems the simpler programming thing and let the
POV user format how data is read then POV-ray would soon be reading files
from Maya, Lightwave and 3D-max.

Why did they rob us of that power?

If you're going to have file reading - why not go all the way... fseek, user
formatting, etc..

fseek and file positioning and char by char reading would make the whole
file reading and writing operations more powerful.