POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : file reading mistake : Re: file reading mistake Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file reading mistake
From: Zarkoff
Date: 29 Jan 2006 05:55:01
Message: <web.43dc9de6fd77404129bb4b200@news.povray.org>
>...[snipped]...
>
> If I see the words "suspecious pointer conversion" one more time I'm
> going to go mad... [But hey, this is why I don't use C any more.]

I wish POV-ray were more like C.

What I'm trying to do is read a file output by a Spline Editor that looks
like this:

---->
// File generated by SpilinEditor v1.2
// POV-Ray v3.0 syntax
#declare testSpln =
lathe{
 cubic_spline
 14,
 <3.630000,6.150000>,
 <2.590000,5.280000>,
 <1.880000,3.690000>,
 <2.400000,1.720000>,
 <3.370000,1.050000>,
 <4.850000,0.690000>,
 <6.370000,0.880000>,
 <7.490001,1.920000>,
 <7.410001,2.700000>,
 <6.860000,3.320000>,
 <6.170000,3.080000>,
 <5.330000,3.680000>,
 <5.120000,4.530000>,
 <5.620000,4.950000>
}
// end of file

<-----

I want to tell POV to read the top part as a string, the "File generated by
SpilinEditor v1.2 ... #declare testSpln = lathe{ cubic_spline...", as
strings.

Given an undefined variable I don't know what POV is making of that and I
don't know how to tell it to make what I want of it.

It seems to ignore comments and then not treat what looks like a string to
me as a string.

When I assume that top part is a string and write:

#read (SplnFile, tempz)     // what is read exactly?

text { ttf "crystal.ttf", tempz, 1,  0       // <--- fails here --*
        texture { pigment {rgb 1} finish {ambient 1} }
        scale y*0.7
        tranlate y*2
      }

It fails to treat it like one.

What the hell does POV make of that data when it reads it?