POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : file reading mistake : Re: file reading mistake Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file reading mistake
From: Zarkoff
Date: 29 Jan 2006 03:30:00
Message: <web.43dc7ca9fd77404129bb4b200@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> > Ever seen programs written in C? ;-)
> >
> > *hides*
>
> Hey, upcasting because it is needed for a calculation is one thing, but
> simply changing a type doesn't happen by itself. And such behaviour is
> usually documented somewhere and has a reason (how annoying would it be if
> you want to do some math, and C keeps on annoying with "int not compatible
> with double", when all you want is "2.5312e63 * 2"?
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> --
> aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
> Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

The manual I get when I click on help says I should be able too.

It says under "#read":
"A DATA_IDENTIFIER is any undeclared identifier or any previously declared
string identifier, float identifier, or vector identifier. Undefined
identifiers will be turned into global identifiers of the type determined
by the data which is read. Previously defined identifiers remain at
whatever global/local status they had when originally created. Type
checking is performed to insure that the proper type data is read into
these identifiers."

Doesn't saying "or any previously declared string identifier, float
identifier, or vector identifier" mean I should be able to use declared
identifiers?

Is the manual wrong? Or did I read that wrong?