POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : coordinates simplified SCRIPT ? : Re: coordinates simplified SCRIPT ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: coordinates simplified SCRIPT ?
From: stu
Date: 21 Jan 2006 16:55:00
Message: <web.43d2ad29429a1667525a2080@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> stu nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 20/01/2006 16:22:
> > +   It's been a while since I used POV...
> > I've always found it enjoyable, and worked
> > through any inconsistencies encountered...
> > but now, on starting to use it again, Im
> > wondering if somebody hasn't already come
> > up with a plugin or script to allow ALL
> > the coordinates to be entered in the same
> > basic mode ?
> >
> >      As it is, one system is required for
> > object point locations... another for moving
> > objects... another for camera or lights...
> > as I say, all this becomes obvious after a
> > test render - but wouldn't it simplify matters
> > to use ONE coordinate system ?  Maybe not...
> > I could see putting the CAMERA in another
> > quadrant, for example... comments... suggestions ?
> >

> Camera, light(s) and objects all use the same coordinates.
> Translations are deltas between the original location and the desired location.
> Rotations are around the origin <0,0,0> and expressed in degrees around the 3 axis.
Positive been
> anti-clockwise when looking toward the positive direction of the corresponding axis
(lefthanded
> system, just like my maths profs taught me)
> +X = right
> +Y = UP
> +Z = AWAY
>
> --
> Alain
> Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

+++  Another replier agreeing with what I'd like to have, but dont :)
Yes... x/right y/up z/deep  is how I learned it also... going by
this produces very unpredicatable results with my currently installed
POV however.  Thanks for your reply.  I'd say I'll look carefully
at this, but after a dozen or more scripts, all with this same,
I'd long accepted it was how the POV worked... maybe I've got a
rare buggy version ?