POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : alpha shadow : Re: alpha shadow Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha shadow
From: Elias Pschernig
Date: 16 Feb 2005 17:30:01
Message: <web.4213c8f3f7e7b06b5b62e1c0@news.povray.org>
"Snell" <skl### [at] optonlineorg> wrote:
> Using Mike's technique you can also experiment with something like:
>
> pigment {
>   image_map {
>     png "Shadow.png" once interpolate 2
>     #local i = 0;
>     #while (i <= 255)
>       #local T = minT + ((maxT-minT)/255)*i;
>       transmit i, T
>       #local i = i + 1;
>     #end
>   }
>   translate <-1/2, -1/2, 0>
>   scale <4/3*CameraHeight, CameraHeight, 1>
>   rotate x*90
> }
>
> Where "Shadow.png" is your objectless shadow scene
> converted to grayscale and minT/maxT are the range
> variables for the amount of transparency (generally
> 0 to 1). CameraHeight is the distance of the orthographic
> camera from the shadow plane when rendering the shadow.

I see, looks like this can reduce the amount of hand-work required, and I
definitely will need to automate the process.

> Gilles Trans has another techique using an image_pattern
> that can be adapted to making soft alpha shadows.
> See http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/mkofdark2.htm.

Yes, image_pattern looks useful. Must play around with it.

In any case, thanks everyone who replied. This newsgroup is still as helpful
as the last time I was here some years ago. I think I must start some more
poving again :)