POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Awesome Smooth CSG Joins : Re: Awesome Smooth CSG Joins Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Awesome Smooth CSG Joins
From: Loki
Date: 11 Dec 2004 05:15:00
Message: <web.41bac81eee76b063b837abf0@news.povray.org>
> This is what I have come up with and I am currently working on joining two
> cylinders together at right angles to each other like the handle of a
> coffee cup.
> The only way I can think of to do it is to bend a torus in a circular arc
> and cut that out of a slightly larger cylinder. The reason the torus needs
> to be bent is to keep in line with the curvature of the large cylinder.
> The only way I can think of to do this is an isosurface and I did in fact do
> it but it didn't fit perfectly like the cylinder/sphere join. Oh well...

This is a tricky problem in CSG - I've tried to do something similar in the
past without resorting to an isosurface and the results weren't too great.
The surface required to join the two cylinders was beyond my somewhat
limited CSG abilities.  I tried using a sphere_sweep to make a 'bent torus'
from which to cut, but the precision required by the spline to get a smooth
join was, I thought, insurmountable.

-