POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A ripple : Re: A ripple Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A ripple
From: Captain Chemistry
Date: 7 Dec 2004 02:20:00
Message: <web.41b5594d442a937d301d03a70@news.povray.org>
"Carl" <car### [at] semisouthcom> wrote:
> This is sort of a follow-up to my wake question.  I have a flat plane and
> I'm wanting to animate the ripples heading outward from a single
> disturbance at x=0, y=0 and t=0.  I've had a wave theory class but that was
> nearly 20 years ago.
>
> Can someone tell me the function z = f(x,y,t) or maybe even just z = f(r,t).
>  I'm comfortable with terms like "2D Wave Equation" and "Dirac Delta
> Function" but I'm just a little too rusty to try and derive the solution
> I'm after.  I'm pretty sure there is a close form solution to this problem
> as I think I've seen it before but after two days of looking on-line I've
> about given up.
>
> Help,
> Carl

I don't know if this is what you're after but this is an exerpt from the pov
help file regarding the ripples pattern:

"Usually the ripples from any given center are about 1 unit apart. The
frequency keyword changes the spacing between ripples. The phase keyword
can be used to move the ripples outwards for realistic animation."

You can use "phase" (I assume a value between 0 and 2*pi) to move the
ripples.

I wish I could tell you the maths but I'm rusty in that particular area.

Nathan