POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A ripple : Re: A ripple Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A ripple
From: Carl
Date: 6 Dec 2004 12:50:00
Message: <web.41b49b48442a937da54c62600@news.povray.org>
> amplitude = (a*sqrt(2*pi*(1 + (t/T)^2)))^(-1) *
>              exp(-(x - v*t)^2/(2*a^2*(1 + (t/T)^2)))

Shouldn't this amplitude term be multiplied by some sine or cosine term?

> For 2-D, just replace x with sqrt(x*x + y*y) is my guess. Not entirely
> sure, let me know if that works.

I don't think that's physically valid as the energy disipates faster in 2D
then it does in 1D but this multiplied by some sine or cosine term might
look good enough for an animation.  I'll play with it some when I get a
free moment or two and let you know.  Be patient.

> Bessel functions, BTW, usually arise in cylindrical geometries.

Well we have an infinite plane in the x-y directions and a disturbance in
the z direction.  Doesn't that put us in a situation with cylindrical
symmetry?

Carl