POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : The Mathematics Behind Spotlights : Re: The Mathematics Behind Spotlights Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mathematics Behind Spotlights
From: Captain Chemistry
Date: 5 Dec 2004 02:20:00
Message: <web.41b2b5bb329b38cf86cba9e10@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote:
> What realy take long, is the media itself, not the spotlight. If the
> media is not important for the rest of your scene, try containing it in
> some invisible (rgbt 1) object like a cone slightly larger than the beam
> of your spotlight.
> A problem with the method you describe: you don't get any light to shine
> on anything that the spotlight is suposed to light up, even with
> radiosity and media on.
> Emiting madia is not faster than a scattering one, and solving your
> function will take some extra time making your scene longer to render.
>
> Alain

That's all sweeet -- I don't care about the emitting media "spotlight"
lighting up anything; I simply don't like scattering media because it is
too slow on my computer (and it is a A64 3000+ computer).

More to the point, I simply want to model what a spotlight does inside
scatting media and use that model in emitting media because emitting media
has less problems.

Some of these problems include:
* all hell breaks loose if you intersect two or more scattering media
containers (like the cones you suggested) - the brightness changes when it
shouldn't and this is not a problem with the quality of the media, it is a
problem with the scattering media itself. With emitting media you can
intersect as many containers as you like and it makes no difference because
WE ARE NOT TRACING THE PATH OF A SPOTLIGHT ANYMORE. *That* is the problem I
want to avoid (tracing the spotlight)

* it is hard (and render-time consuming) to get the quality of the media
good with spotlights shining through it

I do not care about the spotlight itself as a light; I only care about the
EFFECT that spotlight happens to have in scattering media. I can chuck 100
spotlights with media_interaction_off to light up the scene and it would
*still* take less time than some cheap scattering media!

Perhaps I am exaggerating but the above is a long description of why I want
to use emitting media...

(and I am still open to suggestions of how to model this spotlight!)