POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Spotlight and media : Re: Spotlight and media Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlight and media
From: Carl
Date: 18 Nov 2004 15:05:01
Message: <web.419d00373c6e7b27a54c62600@news.povray.org>
> That's true, but the effects of that are different than what you're seeing
> here. The graininess should not be appearing.

Well that is good to know.  Now I just have to track down what I'm doing
wrong.

> I would make sure that your media container object doesn't coincide with the
> spotlight's cone of light, and also as Mike said, make sure your light
> source isn't on the surface of an object.

Well I just removed the object the spotlights were inside of and I still see
the graininess.

http://www.wwwmwww.com/TRON/tanktest4.jpg

This is 7 spot_lights.  3 sets of 2 pointing in opposite directions and one
by itself pointing forward.  The media container is a scaled sphere
centered on the light source.  Actually it's 4 spheres merged together that
look about like this at the moment:

sphere {<0,0,0>,1 scale <100,35,35> translate
<cannon_width/2,532-54*(Tx5-(Tx3-20))/232,cannon_height/2> hollow pigment
{color rgbf 1}
      interior {
        media {
          aa_level     5
          aa_threshold 0.05
          confidence   0.95
          intervals    1
          method       3
          ratio        0.9
          samples      10, 10
          variance     1/256
          scattering {
            1
            color rgb .5
            extinction 0.001
          }
          density {
            spherical
            color_map {
               [0 color rgb 0]
               [1 color rgb 1]
            }
            scale <100,35,35> translate
<cannon_width/2,532-54*(Tx5-(Tx3-20))/232,cannon_height/2>
          }
        }
      }
    }

I'll strip down my file and see if I can get some simple code to post that
shows the same effect.

Carl