POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A ripple : A ripple Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  A ripple
From: Carl
Date: 11 Nov 2004 17:40:01
Message: <web.4193e926563ee4c0a54c62600@news.povray.org>
This is sort of a follow-up to my wake question.  I have a flat plane and
I'm wanting to animate the ripples heading outward from a single
disturbance at x=0, y=0 and t=0.  I've had a wave theory class but that was
nearly 20 years ago.

Can someone tell me the function z = f(x,y,t) or maybe even just z = f(r,t).
 I'm comfortable with terms like "2D Wave Equation" and "Dirac Delta
Function" but I'm just a little too rusty to try and derive the solution
I'm after.  I'm pretty sure there is a close form solution to this problem
as I think I've seen it before but after two days of looking on-line I've
about given up.

Help,
Carl