POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Superellipsoids not very efficient? : Superellipsoids not very efficient? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Superellipsoids not very efficient?
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 7 Nov 2004 00:10:00
Message: <web.418dacec5576d08849700cac0@news.povray.org>
First I want to say...supers are listed in the "Advanced Features" category
in the documentation, so that's I'm posting here. There's no "intermediate"
user
folder, which is where I fit categorically. :)

I'm running an image that involves an indoor floorplane. Originally I had
thought it would just be a flat plane, but I decided to try some loops and
superellipsoids for a ceramic tile look. It was fairly simple to create,
but it all runs out to about 1000 superellipsoids to cover the floor.
Forunately I was able to clip it to save render time on some parts that
wouldn't be visible.

However, running the supers takes forever. Much, much longer than it takes
when running compared to a simple plane (over 11 min. versus about 20
seconds). There's not really a lot I can do about it because I'm not really
a mathematical kind of person so using an isosurface is out of the
question, but I'm just curious: is the superellipsoid really that
inefficient of an object or is it just the fact that I have 1024 of them?

Thanks,

-Mike
Knights Of Today