POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Wake... : Wake... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:38 EDT (-0400)
  Wake...
From: Carl
Date: 3 Nov 2004 16:05:00
Message: <web.4189473dbfaefadca54c62600@news.povray.org>
I tried this over in the new user area and didn't hear much.  Maybe I'm
slowly graduating over here, but I'd be the last person to call me an
advanced user. Anyways on with the question...

   I'm creating an image of an object flying very fast over a plane.  I want
to create the sense the the object is flying close enough to the surface
that there is a small force gripping the plane and dragging it along
behind.  I'm thinking something like the wake left behind by a boat. But
something closer to an airplane flying at supersonic speeds near a
perfectly still surface then a slow row boat for example.  I'm pretty sure
I need an Isosurface but that's about all I know at the moment.  Can
someone help me get started or point me to something that might help?

By the way, if it will help here is the plane that I'm currently using:

  #declare Foo = function {min(abs(x)-int(abs(x)),abs(z)-int(abs(z)),
                 1-(abs(x)-int(abs(x))),1-(abs(z)-int(abs(z))))}

  #declare grid = plane {y, 0
    pigment {
      function { Foo(x, y, z) }
      color_map {
        [0 color White]
        [0.01 color White]
        [0.02 rgb <0, 0.05, 0>]
        [0.98 rgb <0,0.05, 0>]
        [0.99 color White]
        [1 color White]
      }
    scale 500
    }
    normal { bumps 0.01 scale 30 }
    finish {
      ambient .1
      diffuse .5
      reflection .55
      specular 1
      phong 1
    }
  }

I'm thinking that something that disturbs the whole surface or maybe even
something that just grabs and disturbs the grid lines would work equally
well.  Ideally this is something I might like to animate but that is
probably something I can work out after I figure out how to get the effect
I want.

Thanks,
Carl