POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : portals : portals Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  portals
From: miriam english
Date: 9 Sep 2004 06:50:01
Message: <web.414033f0a6b8938438f1caf60@news.povray.org>
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but it
seems a little obscure for most places...

I'm trying to make a portal in a POV-Ray scene. To explain what I mean
imagine a teleport device in the middle of a room. All around it you see
the room, but where the teleport device is you look through it to another
scene entirely to say, a beach scene. It sounds odd, but I know it is
possible in other 3d formats, for instance in VRML, a realtime 3d format,
there is the ability to set up portals (not in standard VRML, but in some
extensions to the standard).

Of course I *could* composite two scenes in post-processing, but I don't
like that. It feels like cheating, and I like the idea of being able to
easily render stereo pairs where the portal has the same depth
characteristics as the world around it.

Anybody know if this can be done in POV-Ray?

Thanks in advance.

- Miriam