POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Layered and Patterned textures : Layered and Patterned textures Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Layered and Patterned textures
From: Leonardo
Date: 22 Jun 2004 11:40:01
Message: <web.40d851a1b0a9931e27bbadf50@news.povray.org>
I wonder why POVRay doesn't allow us to layer patterned textures.
I can't seem to find a reason. There is absolutely no ambiguity in the
parsing. The rendering should not differ so much as the non-patterned
textures.

A work-around would be pushing every layer to the patterned texture. Thus,
instead of having a layered texture of patterned textures, we would have a
patterned texture of layered textures.

But this wouldn't imply the repeated calculation of the layers?
To calculate the color of a patterned texture, we need to calculate two
textures and blend them together. But those textures are both layered
textures. So, the layers are computed twice. And what if we have many
layers???

So, the big question is:
why we just can't layer patterned textures together???

Anyone knows the answer??