POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Variable IOR issue : Re: Variable IOR issue Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variable IOR issue
From: Leonardo
Date: 19 Dec 2003 09:15:01
Message: <web.3fe307165be44e5727bbadf50@news.povray.org>
Tom York wrote:
>Ah, you're worried about seeing the "sharp edges" of the refracting object?

Yes, that's exactly what I don't want: sharp edges... and I can't figure it
out how to get rid of them without several cylinders... Maybe it could be
faked by disturbing the normal, so the rays that hit the edges are just
transmitted, but it would require a lot of work finding such
transformation, and it would be camera-position dependant, wich is bad...

>I'm not sure that the refraction calculation is slow compared to calling a
>noise function.

It would be faster than having 5 or 10 refracting cylinders, one inside each
other. That's what I meant
And it would give better, smoother results, if the noise were applied
correctly... no sharp edges ;)