POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Variable IOR issue : Re: Variable IOR issue Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variable IOR issue
From: Tom York
Date: 17 Dec 2003 12:05:02
Message: <web.3fe08b655be44e572ff34a90@news.povray.org>
Leonardo wrote:

>Anyone come up with a solution / idea / sugestion?

Couldn't you try applying a well-chosen normal pattern to a simple thin box
(aligned with the bullet but facing the camera as far as possible) with a
single ior? I also had this variable ior problem a long time ago, but
controlling the refraction with a normal pattern or more directly by
choosing an appropriately shaped object proved faster and didn't have the
max_trace_level problem. I've used this to generate "heat-wave" type
distortions in a horizon line and simulate odd lenses.