POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Materials that blur : Re: Materials that blur Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Materials that blur
From: Kevin
Date: 24 Sep 2003 21:05:06
Message: <web.3f723e9a78c6ab4a6b3dbbc0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3f70fc1178c6ab46be419860[at]news.povray.org>,
> "Kevin" <kev### [at] dukeedu> wrote:
>
>> I agree that to do this the right way would be really expensive, but a quick
>> way around it might be to determine the length of the ray that passes
>> through the material and then set the local blur size (for that ray) to
>> some function of the path length.
>
>This would be possible, though it wouldn't be very close to the real
>effect.
>

>> Hmmm.... maybe if you could define a gradient of the normal bump sizes you
>> could simulate this effect.. or by playing with normal maps... I'll have to
>> fiddle with that.
>
>It would only look right from one direction.
>
>Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
>POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
>http://tag.povray.org/

I'm beginning to think that I'm just being obsessive-compulsive here.  Based
on some of the previous discussion about real materials I would have to
come to the conclusion that the number of places that this effect is
actually noticable is pretty small.  I think for my purposes the surface
blur will work fine.

Thanks
Kevin