POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Materials that blur : Re: Materials that blur Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Materials that blur
From: Kevin
Date: 23 Sep 2003 22:10:01
Message: <web.3f70fc1178c6ab46be419860@news.povray.org>
Chris has the right idea... what I'm looking for is a material that blurs
the image more if the ray has to pass through a lot of the material rather
than just a tiny bit.

I agree that to do this the right way would be really expensive, but a quick
way around it might be to determine the length of the ray that passes
through the material and then set the local blur size (for that ray) to
some function of the path length.

Hmmm.... maybe if you could define a gradient of the normal bump sizes you
could simulate this effect.. or by playing with normal maps... I'll have to
fiddle with that.