POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Using lathe or SOR with an elliptical object : Using lathe or SOR with an elliptical object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Using lathe or SOR with an elliptical object
From: HenryW
Date: 20 Aug 2003 15:15:01
Message: <web.3f43c86f4e495bb8aa8c3f990@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've been working on a POV model of a football stadium:

http://www.henrywagner.org/povray/images/POPMart2.htm
http://www.henrywagner.org/povray/images/POPMart3.htm

Currently the model is generated using the POV scripting syntax to generate
the stadium out of triangles in the shape of an ellipse. As I add more
details, the number of triangles is getting out of control. Today it hit
me, I could just define the points that make up the profile and "sweep" the
stadium out with lathe or sor, but I haven't been able to figure out how to
create the elliptical shape. One idea is to create a spherical stadium and
use "scale" to stretch it along one axis, but I don't think that will look
right. Is there away to sweep an object along an elliptical path? Any other
ideas of how to speed this up?

Henry