POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons Q : Re: Photons Q Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons Q
From: Retsam
Date: 1 May 2003 17:40:06
Message: <web.3eb193f9d01eb52e2a3ff2e70@news.povray.org>
Tyler Eaves wrote:

>Okay, darn. I wasn't interested in the "effect" so much as the modeling.
>I've been learning some basic optics in my physics class, and wanted to see
>if I could model some of it in pov.

You might be better off modelling a telescope or microscope.  Use focal
blur, that "simulates" your eye.  If the image is blurry, your focal
lengths are off.

I've done it myself, rendering a 4.5 inch reflector telescope, with a 910mm
focal length primary mirror with a diameter of 114mm, and a small 45 degree
inclined secondary mirror, and then I created a 25mm focal length
refracting lens.  Turned on focal blur, and adjusted the position of the
objective lens until I got it to focus.  It was a very satisfying project,
though it took forever to test each rendering.