POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Diamond material : Re: Diamond material Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamond material
From: Matti Karnaattu
Date: 29 Apr 2003 16:20:04
Message: <web.3eaeddea87eb1c75bef0bd7d0@news.povray.org>
>But your value of 1.044 for the dispersion is WAY off.

I know. I pick that from charts because I create formula after you wrote how
POV-Ray calculate dispersion.

>          Index of
>  Colour  Refraction   Source Line    Wavelength
>
>  Red       2.407      Solar  B-line   687   nm
>  Yellow    2.417      Sodium D-line   589.3 nm
>  Violet    2.452      Solar  G-line   431   nm

Great chart! Is this full chart of diamond IORs? I really like to know all
values if you have to get more accurate values.

Using spline I can approximate IORs to formula from chart:

700nm   = ~2.407000000000000
555nm   = ~2.422824598862933
435.8nm = ~2.450762660918041

Using these values in my formula I get dispersion 1.03308938613443. At base
IOR 555nm approximated reflection is 0.401889.

Can you write all material IORs from the source you get those diamond IORs?
At least all gemstones?

I'm now working with material library with physically accurate materials and
I like to get more values to get perfect approximation. My aim is to get
the material library to part of POV-Ray distribution because large part of
POV-Ray original textures are outdated and useless in radiosity and HDR
scenes. Please help me to make POV-Ray better :)

Matti