POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 19 Mar 2003 20:55:02
Message: <web.3e791f49528171f8d02c7b870@news.povray.org>
Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> The obvious next step:  port MAME to SDL.
>
>Port whatty?!?

MAME = Multi Arcade Machine Emulator

I haven't used it personally, but it's supposed to be really good. I've
heard there are even ports of it for several consoles.

Well, here's something even loonier than making an emulator in SDL: Make a
whole game in it. Just imagine Warcraft III or Duke3d with raytraced
graphics! Drool drool drool! Pity, no current computer is fast enough to do
it in real time.

I suppose you could write a game engine that uses raytracing for the
graphics, but it would probably take 10-20 years before there is a computer
fast enough to run it at 60fps.

I've certainly been thinking about doing it, _IF_ I ever get my programming
skills up to the required level to do it (currently I'm just bordering on
being able to write Tetris).

In the mean time, perhaps you could write POV-Tetris, eh? :-)

Rohan _e_ii